Home » » Wood in our house | to paint or not to paint

Wood in our house | to paint or not to paint

Updated 1.31.14 to add a few more options from the comments. 

Happy Wednesday! I've been thinking a lot about how we'll treat the wood in our new house (before tour here and here) .. I'm torn because I always thought if we got a house with wood, it would be the tacky wood wall paneling and we would instantly paint it all white .. The wood in our house is beautiful, but rustic, orangey and log cabiny, which isn't our style. 

SO this has left me thinking about what we should do.

Here's the room as is.


and a few options (roughly Photoshopped) The ceiling fan will be going .. but I left it in, so lets just look at paint.

1. Leave the ceiling as is, paint the wall beams white.


2. Make the ceiling a more neutral wood tone (less orange) paint the wall beams white. The labor involved scares me .. I'll have to do more research.

Also, I love the look of this, but it isn't realistic without applying new wood.


3. Paint the ceiling and wall beams white, leave the ceiling beams as is.


or neutralize the beams ..


4. Paint everything white.


5. Paint everything white and the walls a soft gray blue/green.


6. White beams, wood ceiling (added per barksandbaking comment, let me know if you'd like to see something and I'll add it, if I can :) 


7. Black ceiling beams and window trim, white wall beams and ceiling (added per danielle oakey's comment)


8. White ceiling, beams as is (added per lindsay z comment)


9. White wash the beams, paint the ceiling white


10.  Paint the beams white, white wash the ceiling


I know that painting the wood won't be for everyone, but in the end we have to follow our instincts and do what we love. Good thing we have plenty of time to think about it! If you have thoughts, I'd love to hear it! We'll be in Ohio till the end of March/April, then we're not sure where David's job will take us (hopefully to MD or closer!) It's hard not knowing, but we're making the best of it. In the meantime, we're busy making plans for our house and projects that will go our house!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.