Home » » DIY Anthro Inspired Tassel Throw | Tutorial

DIY Anthro Inspired Tassel Throw | Tutorial

Hey!! Today, I'm sharing a DIY Anthro inspired tassel throw!

I'm working on finishing up our TN bedroom (though it will look a good bit different from this sneak peek). I first saw this amazing Anthro throw in A Storied Style and I Heart Organizing's bedroom/office reveal (SO good!!) and fell in love. This throw seriously makes the photo!


After seeing the $128 price tag, I decided to try a DIY version. Using a pre-made throw makes this project super easy since the tassels are SO simple. Read on to see how to make your own! 



To get started, you will need:

5 ounces of chunky yarn (qty 4) I made 14 large tassels and used about 3.25 packages of yarn
Thinner yarn (qty 1) (optional, you can sub the thicker yarn) 
Throw (mine is from Target, a few years ago) 
Scissors 
Piece of cardboard 
Large needle or chopstick - something pointy to push the yarn through the blanket


First, cut a piece of cardboard based on desired tassel length (mine is 6" long). Wrap the yarn till it's thick (thickness shown in second photo below). Try to keep the yarn vertical verse criss crossing the yarn. Tip: tuck the first piece of yarn under the first few folds to keep it from floating around


Cut a long piece of yarn (about 1') and tightly tie a double knot on one end at the top (try to center it as much as possible)


Next, on the end where the knot was tied, secure the tassel -  cut a piece of yarn, about 1' (I tied it 1" and 2" down from the top and used thinner yarn). I found it easiest to tie the bottom section first (about 2" down). Getting the knot tight (which is important!) is tricky if you're doing it yourself - to make it easy, tie it once (don't worry about making it tight at first).


Then, flip the tassel over and tie it once. Repeat (about 4 or 5 times), it will gradually tighten and hold itself. Once it holds itself - tie a double knot. 


Repeat for the top section.


Then, cut the bottom loops. Pull a few pieces tight with the scissors and then trim. Pulling it tight will make the ends fairly even. If needed, trim the ends to even it up. 


Repeat for all your tassels, I made 14 for my throw.


Apply tassels to all the corners and then use a tape measure to center on the lengths. I didn't have a needle large enough for the yarn, so I used an awl (used for marking metal) (a chopstick would work well too) to push the yarn through the throw. I simply twisted the thread tight (so the awl would catch it) and then pushed it through. Then I tied it with a few knots.


I wanted my yarn to be a little looser - since I couldn't find any, I unraveled a few pieces of yarn for a more casual look. I simply did that by reverse twisting the yarn and running my finger through it.


Isn't amazing how a few tassels can completely change a throw!? I love it!!


Making tassels is seriously SO simple - you can easily knock this project out in one evening while catching up on your favorite shows! I hope you'll give it a try!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.