Home » , , » Coral Desk + Tip for Reusing Old Hardware

Coral Desk + Tip for Reusing Old Hardware

I spotted and ran towards this desk as soon as I walked into Goodwill (kind of like how Cassie lunged for these brass deer while we were thrifting :) Guess I have a thing for Mid Century Modern furniture. I love the clean lines!

BEFORE


(sorry for the messy wires, we threw the tv on top prior to painting - we have plans for a new tv stand!)

I was originally thinking white and wood, but it did have a good bit of damage (occurred after purchase when they stored it grr), so wood filler and paint was a great solution.

AFTER


First, I sanded to remove all of the glossy surfaces (medium grit, then fine grit sandpaper), wiped down with a microfiber cloth and applied two coats of Zinsser Cover Stain Primer, letting it dry about an hour between coats.

Oil based primer is stinky and a pain to clean up - I typically store my roller (smooth 6" foam) in a plastic bag and throw it out once it's unusable. BUT it leaves a super hard and durable base, so I think worth it!


I've been obsessed with Brittany's coral dresser since I first saw it, so I decided to get the same color (Behr Cool Lava) matched at Sherwin Williams in Pro Classic semi gloss.


After lightly sanding (with fine grit) the primer I applied three light top coats.


I was going to spray paint the original hardware gold, but when sanding, I found that it was gold underneath. Such a nice surprise! The top coat was removed easily with a little sanding.


I let it cure a few days before setting anything on it, but wanted to wait to move my big computer since it's SO heavy. I'm still undecided if I'll keep it here, I love the color .. but I like the length of my x leg desk.


I found this porcelain elephant at Goodwill - it's missing the top, but perfect for holding paperclips!





I don't think I'll every tire of coral - I keep coming back to it :)

We have TONS of projects in process (most almost done!) So I'll have a lot more to share soon.

p.s. you may want to check out the fabric at Joanns, I was able to find an amazing deal yesterday ($3.40 a yard for gray chenille upholstery fabric!) in the clearance section!! I'll probably be sewing all week :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.