Home » » How I Stencil

How I Stencil

I've been getting a few questions on how to use my stencils, so yesterday I spent sometime making a few tutorials on techniques that I've found helpful. 

Through creating and using a few different stencils, I realized that I use each one a little differently. So I will start showing through photos and video (and still text) how I use them. After all, that is how I learn, so maybe you do too! 

For the Moroccan Trellis stencil I took a few photos to illustrate the steps that I take.

 


I made a step by step version of the best and fastest way I found to paint the Moroccan Trellis stencil. This will give varying opacities, which I love. If you are looking for a fuller opacity, I would recommend using swirling motions, pulling away from the sides and building the paint up until desired opacity is reached.

Last night I started testing my new trellis inspired stencil, up in the shop a little later today or tomorrow.


With the smaller shapes, I found it easier to work in a swirling motion over the whole stencil pressing down semi firmly on the brush to hold the edges tight to avoid paint going underneath. I even made a video to help explain. It was taken at night, so please excuse the poor quality and weird coloring, but hopefully you get the idea :) 


Better ones to come!

Also, it took me about 2 minutes to cover 12", so you could roughly calculate how long it would take you to stencil your surface. 

Finally, I have this natural bristle stencil brush set from Martha Stewart. I found that they need to be broken in first as they lose bristles and are stiff. After they are broken in they lose a lot less bristles! Having a broken in brush made the trellis stencil easier since I could move faster. I broke mine in by using it (I didn't know at the time that it would work better for me broken in) but I would guess that maybe swirling it in vinegar would do the trick? I haven't tried this, so if you have any tips let me know! :)

I typically just use the largest brush, but didn't see that option when I purchased at Michaels.  

Hopefully this info is helpful both for using my stencils and your own!

Lack table update soon! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.